Mercer Hill Farm
THIS KING RANCH TENANT FARM lost its massive bank barn to a fire in the 1950’s, but a cattle loafing shed remained to the west. A new bank barn was inserted within the foundation ruin, innovatively setting the upper six horse stalls on the grade of the barn bridge so as to open to both the upper stable yard and into a center aisle. This allows for substantial utility storage below, which opens onto a lower stable yard framed by the ruins of bank barn stone walls. The cattle shed was transformed into a very practical eleven-stall barn with large tack room, double wash-stall and lower stable yard access as well as direct field turn-out. Both stables benefit from hay storage above to simplify feeding and share a single discrete manure pit within the ancient walls.