Designed in 1888 by architect T. P. Lonsdale for railroad magnate Max Riebenack, this National Register of Historic Places mansion has been restored and adapted by Drexel University for use as a student commons. The Archer & Buchanan Architecture design marries a diverse program of dining, study, meeting and socializing spaces, with the scale and character of the original house.
This renovation includes the integration of restrooms and fire stairs within the original house, and new mechanical, sprinkler and state-of-the-art tele / data cabling systems hidden from sight. The 14,500 sf renovation brings new life to a significant University structure and demonstrates Drexel’s commitment to serving its students while preserving the heritage of the West Philadelphia community.
In Our View
Is a Sustainable
Way of Building.