In the 1930’s when renowned local architect Walter K. Durham designed a major renovation and addition to the stone colonial in Chester County, the house was already more than two centuries old. Four historic structures rise out of the embankment on this property: a carriage house, spring house, large bank barn (1820) and the main house (original portion dates to c. 1720), and none had been touched for decades when Archer & Buchanan began work.
Overlooking a spring-fed pond on 26 acres, these classic buildings of fieldstone and mica schist were thoroughly gutted, structurally stabilized, and restored. To increase the room in the main house without enlarging the footprint, the third floor was restructured with the addition of dormers to create a third floor bedroom and bath. The result was bringing back a “gentleman’s farm” to a property that could have gone to a sub-development.
Life's a Voyage