Richard D. Buchanan, AIA, Partner
Richard Buchanan co-founded Archer & Buchanan Architecture, Ltd. in 1996 with the desire to focus on custom residential design and country property planning, including equestrian facilities. Since then he has expanded his repertoire to include the design of sporting pavilions, adaptive re-use of many types of buildings, restaurants, children’s recreation spaces, historic restoration and the design of iron and woodwork products.
Mr. Buchanan’s responsibilities as a founding partner include involvement in all phases of a project, from conceptual design through construction administration. Initial design begins with attentive listening to the needs of the client and translation of those hopes and wishes into a concept that gives form to the program, the budget, the governing codes and the site parameters and opportunities. Mr. Buchanan’s role as a lead designer, both here and in previous firms, has given him years of experience bringing these often competing elements together both poetically and efficiently.
He has written for the various organizations on the relationship of design to open space preservation including the Brandywine Conservancy, lectured on the firm’s affinity for “Making the New Look Old” at the Philadelphia Antiques Show and on the surprisingly varied current design influences in traditional residential design.
Community service activities include memberships on various boards and panels where an understanding of the built environment help to broaden and strengthen the mission of local organizations such as the West Chester Planning Commission, Delaware Museum of Natural History Board of Trustees and East Bradford Township Historic Architectural Review Board. A life long horseman, he provided the pro bono design of new stables for Mr. Stewarts Cheshire Foxhounds.
Mr. Buchanan lives in Chester County with his veterinarian wife and two daughters, where he enjoys tinkering on his farm with his own old house and flight as a private pilot.
- University of British Columbia, Master of Architecture
- Bucknell University, B.A., Architecture
- American Institute of Architects
- Delaware Museum of Natural History Board of Trustees
- East Bradford Township Historic Review Board
- Institute of Classical Architecture & Classical America
- National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB)
- West Chester Borough Planning Commission
- West Marlborough Historic Resources Task Force
Awards and Traveling Studies:
- Escola Technica Superiore d¡¯Arquitectura, Barcelona, Spain
- Syracuse University School of Architecture Florence, Italy
- Royal Architecture Institute of Architecture Scholarship, Vancouver, B.C.
- U.B.C. Graduate fellow Anse Chastenet, St. Lucia, W.I.
- Commonwealth Design Award 2003
- Electronic House Silver Medal in Best Home Theater 2008
- PA Society of American Registered Architects Design Award 2009
- Preservation Alliance of Greater Philadelphia - Preservation Achievement Grand Jury Award 2010
- Township of Lower Merion - Historic Preservation Award 2010
- Delaware Contractors Association - Construction Excellence Award 2010